Welcome from Amy D. Unsworth

Language, Literature, Learning & Life.




Exhortations!

Every once in a while, the whole business of poetry starts to wear on me: the worry about publication, the worry about if it's worthwhile, the conflict between wanting to create and wanting to "matter" as a poet. But then I find a moment of exhortation like this one and all of that falls away leaving the desire to create, to speak of this world, as my essential desire.

Doubt not, O Poet, but persist. Say "It is in me, and shall out." Stand there, balked and dumb, stuttering and stammering, hissed and hooted, stand and strive, until at last rage draw out of then that dream-power which every night shows thee is thine own; a power transcending all limit and privacy, and by virtue of which a man is the conductor of the whole river of electricity.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

rcloenen-ruiz said...

Hi Amy Unsworth,

Thanks so much for this post. You don't know me, but this is one post I really needed today.

I am so glad I found your blog.

Amy D. Unsworth said...

It helps sometimes, doesn't it, to hear that others have gone through (and survived!) the same types of frustrations and blocks?

Glad you stopped by!
Amy