Welcome from Amy D. Unsworth

Language, Literature, Learning & Life.




Random Acts of Poetry

Coincidently, my husband and I were discussing performing "random acts of poetry" just this morning. Knowing of course that such a good idea had to be already in action somewhere, I looked about on the web and found that the Canadians have such as program and strangely enough this is the week that they celebrate it. (Odd eh?)

See here: http://national-random-acts-of-poetry.blogspot.com/

So, I propose that you too commit random acts of poetry. This can be as simple as reading a poem to a friend, or leaving a copy in a public place or even (if you're brave) reading aloud to a gathering of people (whether they want you to or not!)

I'm thinking about business cards with poems printed on them. A sonnet should fit just fine or another small poem. Or print off a few copies of a poem and mail them to a random sample of people in your town.

We could lead the charge to put poems straight in the hands (and ears!) of potential readers.

So, even if I didn't think of it first, I can still champion for the cause.

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

a said...

Just yesterday I posted a poem on a tree in my village. I knew it had to be happening elsewhere too. Poetic acts are being committed in Linton, South Cambridgeshire, UK!
Best wishes
A

Amy Unsworth said...

Fantastic! What poem did you post?

Thanks for stopping in to let me know!

I've merely chalked a few lines on classroom chalkboards; I suppose I should send poems with my christmas cards this year & perhaps with the bills as I write the checks.

If you can think of any more good ways to put poetry out into the world, let me know!

a said...

It was Frogs in the Wood by Brian Patten.

I thought I might slip a poem or two in amongst the magazines next time I visit the doctor or the dentist or the hairdresser.

Goodbye for now
Anna@