Welcome from Amy D. Unsworth

Language, Literature, Learning & Life.




How to be a Happy Poet

Seth has an interesting post about the chaos that is the publishing/academic/po-biz world. He talks about how there is no "right" way to go about being a "poet" and how what happens to us as poets is more chance than anything. In many ways I feel he's right about this, I have always been the type of person that decides what I want to do and then takes the proper steps to accomplish what it is that I desire. So, how do you go about doing this as a poet? What is the correct path? I'm not sure that I know and that is a bit frustrating When I was just writing and submitting, I had a few small sucesses but noticed that the people I saw publishing the most had an advanced degree. I also think that I'd like to teach, which demands an advanced degree as well. But, if fate prevents me from further schooling, I know I can always study on my own, write on my own and still feel as if I am a poet. I don't know if the world will call me one, but still I'll write.

No comments: